New Weird: Jack, China Miéville

“People get broken when they get Remade,” is my favorite line. It sums up the whole short story. At first, I really hated reading this story because I thought it was poorly written. And then I thought, no this has to be on purpose. The voice was what threw me off. 

Hearing that it’s a part of the series makes me glad because that means there’s more to this weird story. But I kinda liked that I didn’t have the full context. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into, and I think the story did a great job of introducing the world to me and the core elements of the universe it takes place in. This is more of an appreciation from a writers stand-point, but I liked this story more going into it not knowing anything. The weirdness of the concept was enough to intrigue me. People being Remade. The idea that, after you get punished, you get surgically changed or given an inhuman part or body, and that after that process, you are now less than human. You are nothing. But then one day, a Remade person decides to rise above nothing and go beyond what people expect. 
            Being told from an admiration perspective was great. A point of view of someone that has conflicted morals. They’re not supposed to like this Remade person. They’re not supposed to like Jack because society has told him that Jack was nothing, but yet he still admires Jack. This conflicted narrator added more to this story than what was being told because if he’s having these thoughts about are uncanny hero, then other people in his position are also feeling this as well. They also admire Jack for his actions. This creates a sense of chronic tension, because now there are people who are expected to be functional people of society, but now they have to hide their thoughts and their personal views from people over them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Fantasy - Neil Gaiman

Cyberpunk: Paprika Viewing

Babel 17, Language that Kills